1. Why does the hair of a person touching the dome of a Van de Graaff generator stand on ends?
2. Why doesn’t the person touching the dome of the Van de Graaff generator, that is over 100 000 volts, get elecricuted?
3. Draw the electric field patterns close to a
a Negatively charged sphere
b Between two opposite point charges
c Between two parallel plates with opposite charges
4. Where is the electric field the strongest?
5. What happens when a sharp spike is put on the dome of a Van de Graaff generator? Explain why this happens.
6. What natural conditions can cause air to be ionised?
7. How is lightning produced?