1. How does kinetic theory explain the behavior of solids, liquids and gases?
2. Explain Brownian motion.
3. What is thermal energy/internal energy/heat?
4. Everyday temperatures are measured on the _______ scale. Its unit of temperature is the _______.
5. A mercury-in-glass thermometer contains a liquid whose ________ increases with temperature.
6. A thermistor thermometer uses a material whose _________ properties vary with temperature.
7. What happens when a hot object is placed in contact with a cold one?
8. What is Absolute zero?
9. In scientific work, temperatures are often measured using the _______ scale. Its temperature unit is the _______.
10. How do you convert temperature on the Celsius scale to the Kelvin scale?
11. What is ice point and steam point?
12. How do you calibrate an unmarked thermometer?
13. What property of liquids is used in liquid-in-glass thermometers?
14. Liquid-in-glass thermometers are normally filled with _____ or _______.
15. Why should a mercury thermometer have a narrower tube than an alcohol thermometer to give the same temperature?
16. What is the lowest temperature that can be measured with (a) mercury thermometer (b) alcohol thermometer? Why?
17. A mercury thermometer can measure higher temperatures than an alcohol thermometer. True or False?
18. What decreases the responsiveness of a thermometer?
19. What are the advantages of a Thermocouple thermometer when compared to a liquid-in-glass thermometer?