1. What is digestion?
2. Digestion uses ___________ & ______________ processes.
3. In digestion, food molecules are broken down by __________ reactions.
4. There are different __________ for the hydrolysis of each food type.
5. Write an equation for the basic process of hydrolysis of all food molecules.
6. The saliva contains an enzyme called ___________. What does it do? Write an equation for the reaction.
7. Which are the two other substances that saliva contains and what do they do?
8. Is all the starch converted to maltose in the mouth. Why?
9. What is the oesophagus?
10. Explain peristalsis?
11. What is epiglottis? What is the important function performed by it?
12. How is heartburn caused? How can it be treated?
13. The stomach is muscle. T or F?
14. Which are the three important secretions produced by the digestive glands lining the stomach? What are their functions?
15. __________ is a protein digestive enzyme.
16. _________ acid helps the action of pepsin.
17. What happens to the food inside the stomach?
18. The pH in the stomach is ________ ( high/low).
19. Are carbohydrates digested in the stomach? Why?
20. What is chime?
21. Name the ring of muscle at the foot of the stomach.
22. __________ is the first part of the small intestine.
23. The digestion of food is completed in the __________.
24. What are the three enzymes found in pancreatic juice? How do they help digestion?
25. The pancreatic enzymes work best around a pH of _____.
26. The pancreatic juice also contains _________, which neutralizes the acid coming from the stomach.
27. Bile is made in the _________ and stored in the ___________.
28. What is the function of bile?
29. __________ is the enzyme secreted from the walls of the small intestine. What does it do?
30. The digestive juices are largely made up of ___________.
31. Write the two main reasons why water is needed during digestion.
32. _________ protects the wall of the gut from being digested by its own enzymes.
33. What is dietary fibre? Give two examples.
34. What is egestion?
35. Faeces are stored in the __________.
36. Explain the process of defaecation.
37. Why do babies need nappies and adults don’t?